Windows 10 and Windows 8 users sometimes come across an unusual error. The error “there was a problem resetting your PC” occurs mainly when there is an issue that Windows cannot automatically solve.
So the Windows asks the users to either refresh or reset the system. The user can reset the system manually but the real problem comes when the system refresh doesn’t work. There is also an option of resetting your PC but there is the possibility that reset option might not work.
A bug in Windows 10 causes the Windows to go into this mode. The bug might be present due to these reasons as stated by Microsoft officials.
- The Windows came pre-installed on your system instead of an upgrade from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
- Compression enabled to cut short the disk space used by pre-installed programs.
- Booting the PC to the recovery drive and selecting Troubleshoot>Reset this PC> Remove everything.
In this article, we will go through the fixes that you can try to overcome this annoying problem. The errors we will go through here are ” there was a problem resetting your PC no changes were made” and “there was a problem refreshing your pc no changes were made”. We will also go through a same solution ” how to fix error there was a problem resetting your pc no changes were made” as well.
How to fix there was a problem resetting your PC?
Here are the three most common, efficient, tried and working methods to solve the “there was a problem resetting your PC” error. Follow the methods to solve the error in no time.
1. Using Command Prompt
- First, go to start menu and then settings. Search for “Advanced Startup” in the search bar.
- Once in the Advanced Startup menu, select Restart now.
For advanced startup, hold down the Shift key and click on restart from start menu
- A blue menu will appear after the restart. Click on Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced Options and then select Command Prompt
- Then choose the Administrator account. You will have to enter the password if you have set one on your account.
- Now click on Continue
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type the below-given commands. Remember to hit Enter after typing each command.
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
- Once done with all the commands, close the window. Boot options page will reappear and select Continue. The system will now boot into your Windows.
- Now you can try and reset your PC.
Hopefully, this fix will let you allow resetting your PC. In case this fix doesn’t work then move to the next one.
2. Using Recovery USB
Next thing you can try to resolve this issue is using a USB as a recovery drive to recover your PC.
- Use a 16GB or 32GB empty USB for the purpose.
- Insert it into your PC.
- Search “Create a Recovery Drive” in the search bar in the Start menu.
- Select the first option “Create a Recovery Drive”.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control dialog box.
- Remember that when you recover PC from a drive, all files and apps are deleted. So, you must tick the checkbox at the bottom labeled “Back up system files to the recovery drive”.
- Now click Next.
- Select the USB drive you want to backup your files on and click Next.
- Now click Create. This will take some time and once it finishes, click Finish.
- Now Restart your PC
- Press the F12 or the specified key for your system to go to the Boot Options.
- Choose to boot from the USB device you made earlier for recovery.
- Now choose “Recovery from a Drive” and then follow the on-screen instructions to recover your PC.
- This will hopefully remove the bug and the problem will be resolved.
This fix is also useful if you get the error “recover from a drive there was a problem resetting your pc”
3. Clean Installing Windows
If the above two fixes didn’t work, then you must go for a clean installation of Windows on your PC.
To create a bootable Windows 10 USB, read our article “How to install Windows 10 from USB“
Once you have created a bootable installation media, follow these steps to install the Windows.
- Insert the USB drive into your PC and restart your PC.
- On the Windows Installation Screen, select “Repair your Computer”.
- Follow the on-screen commands to install the Windows.
This fix works 100% and you will surely get rid of the annoying error.
These fixes will hopefully counter the error that has been bothering you. Whether its “there was a problem resetting your pc no changes were made windows 10″ or ” there was a problem resetting your pc no changes were made windows 8″. Do share with your friends if your error there was a problem resetting your pc got resolved. Thanks!